Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Hands on Equations = Hands on Fun

This week we have been doing math state assessments in my class. It is always so hard for me to balance assessments with instruction for the week. To keep things light but still maintain a good focus I have been doing Hands on Equations with my students. 

A few years ago my mom was telling me about Hands on Equations they were doing in a 6th grade class she was working in. (She is a teacher as well) This really peaked my interest in what this was and maybe something I could use in my classroom. 

If you have never heard of Hands on Equations, let me give you a little background info: About Hands on Equations (follow this link to the company webiste) 

Demystifying the Learning of Algebra: 

Making Algebra Child's Play 

Hands-On Equations is a supplementary program that can be used with any math curriculum to provide students with a solid foundation for success with algebra. It uses the visual and kinesthetic approach developed by Dr. Henry Borenson to demystify abstract algebraic concepts. The program enhances student self-esteem and interest in mathematics.

The basics behind this is students can solve an equation like this, 2x+x+2= 12+2x using pawns, cubes, and a balance sheet. It is always so amazing to me that my students learn to solve these equations so easily. 

Here is a demo about it I found on YouTube: 
 


This is not a curriculum but a supplemental activity you can use with your students to make algebra more concrete before moving to the representational. It is so engaging!!


(P.S. I am not being paid or compensated for my recommendation. Just telling you what we are doing that is successful in my classroom)




No comments:

Post a Comment