I am so excited to link up for my first Five for Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching. (Even though it is Saturday morning....)
1. I finally finished a rubric I think I have been trying to complete all year long. I teach the Daily 5 routine as the reading/language arts component of the day. I love how it motivates the kids and really engages them in their learning. I adore hearing them say they love reading because of this. However, I just feel like the acountability piece is missing. I finally finished a rubric that will help them evaluate themselves on how they did.
2. My student teacher has been gone all week due to a death in the family. It was sad for her to be away as we love her dearly but it gave me a chance to reconnect with my students. They are such a neat group of kids and its good to know while my intern has been teaching everything lately, I haven't lost my MOJO.
3. My class did an awesome consumer/science activity with dying Easter eggs. (Yes I realize Easter was a week ago, but seriously I am a frugal teacher and buy the dye kits while they are $.25) The kids were so engaged and it reminded me why I need to do fun/meaningful activities and not be so assessment focused.
4. Math assessments begin next week. Please bring on the Starbucks, Tylenol PM, and bubble baths. I am nervous as I have been teaching to the CCSS all year long and not our actual state assessment. I know that will hurt my scores, but it is what is best for my students.
5. In keeping with the 5 theme....only 5 more Fridays of school. (one friday we have inservice) This makes me happy. I have had such a great year. However, time to rejuvenate, reconnect, and revive myself makes me one happy girl!